Time between classes

---------

From: lia (johns392_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 24 2003 - 06:22:40 PDT

The time I have had between classes depended on the grade level. At
elementary I had none and classes would jump from 3rd to 5th to Kinder
etc. This is especially challenging since clocks can be off between
teachers and some teachers don't make it on time anyway. I would always
have classes coming and going at the same time. Having the drop off
teacher pick up classes does help if you can work that out. In either
case, one class would be waiting in the hall to enter and the other class
in the room and then we would switch when they were both quiet. Other
things that can help include having a quiet seat activity when kids come in
for a few minutes while you get ready. Mostly I found I had to be ready
without that. I learned to teach and set up at the same time, and to
think about the feasibility of that in my planning of what we would do. I
also had a table made with slots where I would put materials and resources
(books I use, paper I need, visuals etc) for each class in the order they
came. When my 3rd class came....their materials would be in the 3rd slot
and I would quickly cram work and notes from the 2nd hour into their
slot. At the end of the day I would clean-up the "days cramming" and set
up for the next day.
The cabinet I designed had slots at least 12x18 so a box with that size
folder and papers could easily slide into that. On one side it had
vertical slots for larger visuals...and it fit below a 3x6 folding
table....so I had a solid service to use on top. It isn't easy...but it
is doable. Good luck. lia