Christa Wise's School Sculpture

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 07:38:18 PDT

This is from Christa Wise:

Dear Arties,

We got a grant to work with an artist-in-residence, sculptor Cynthia
McKean, to build a sculpture for our school. Curiously, the young artist
who completed the award-winning macquette was also the best student in the
shop class that completed the piece. Instead of a group effort, it IS his
work! How about that for a portfolio piece?

It will be part of an annual exhibit of professional work called "Art Round
Town" - a collection of 15 or so public sculptures from Michigan artists
that changes every year. There's a map for tourists to find the pieces and
most are for sale. This one, however, is on permanent installation at our
HS. It will be dedicated the Saturday after next.

The photo is of sculpture as it is today!
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/news/christa-sculpture.jpg

Almost finished. It is about ten feet tall made of 2500 pounds of steel box
beams. I can't believe we finished on time! We are waiting for the
electrician to put in some wiring before we pour cement around the
three-foot deep hole. Obviously the orange
2x4's are just holding the structure in place until then. It was a very
exciting day!!

Christa

(Note to Christa: Send me the name of your school for Art News - and a final
picture)

---