Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: kilns

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 06:49:16 PDT

Be safe-hire an electrician. Linda

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean Womack []
Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2003 9:01 PM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: kilns

I bought an old Cress kiln from someone in a nearby city. It has a plug
that does not fit the 220 socket in my basement, that powers the dryer. The
directions say that it is 230 wiring, but can be used with a 220 line, if a
licensed electrician changes the receptacle. My husband said that the plug
could be changed, but the directions say that it can only be replaced with
a plug having amperage and volatage capacity equal to that shown on a table
in the book (230). I am worried that the electricity in my house may not be
grounded. Also, it is a very old house that still uses screw-in fuses. The
people we bought it from had a receptacle that fit the plug in their
basement, but she only used it five times, she said. Does anyone have
experience or advice for me? Thanks.

Jean Womack

Delivered by GCSnet (b30)