custodians and character ed

---------

From: Fields, Linda (fieldsl_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 06:41:35 PDT

Linda wrote: "Though my kids don't see the woman who cleans our room at
night, I tell
them that she is a real person, named Margeurita. She has 4 children,
17, 18, 22, and 23. She speaks very little English. SHe has worked in
my room for 3 years. Her two youngest boys are in wheelchairs with
cerebral palsy!!!!! They are retarded and must be dressed and fed. She
does this with the help of her two oldest sons. her husband left her.
I tell the kids about her so that they will make an extra effort to NOT
LET craypas roll off the table onto the floor to get stepped on, so that
they will clean up spilled paint off the floor, and so that they will
pick up supplies and big paper off the floor when they clean up. I made
her real to them this year,and it has really truly helped with the mess
in my room this year.

Now that's what I call real character education-Much better than canned
lessons! Linda in NC

---