Re: How do the kids know art is over?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 20:52:07 PDT

Linda says:
> These administrators who try to tell you how to clean your room
> seriously need to get a life! Let them walk in your shoes one or two
> days...a week, lol...They would be asking YOU for advice!!!

A couple of years ago I was told to get rid of my "junk. " My junk is what
my art is all about. Things to call on at the spur of the moment; piles to
draw from; things to play with...
My junk was discarded to make room for the computer guys junk. But I have
made friends with the computer guys and they bring me the best junk-----
wire, cables, wood spools from the cables and all that wonderful
packaging material computer stuff comes in. Today one of them brought me the
'shells" from a blue G-3 and Apple blue monitor. What joy

and now I hide my junk amidst their junk which seems to be acceptable junk.

Sometimes I think what we do best as art teachers is to be a bit
"subversive" do we not teach how to find the way around an obstacle?

I'm finding the title of this thread very curious-- How do the kids know art
is over? very scary if you take it literally. I wonder how you tell the
kids that art doesn't fit into a time frame, that it doesn't follow any
bells and cleaning up is just a chore, it's not a lesson. I teach high
school. I have a lot of kids that find their way to the art room -- kids
that need a place that isn't about bells
and there is no administrator that is going to make me make a place that is
not the kind of place that these kids need.

Yes, indeed, they will ask our advice if they ever understand how we make a
place for those kids that border on the fringe, the outside and how we
make it comfortable for them to there and encouraging their not
conforming and find just how special the special can be. What probably
makes me most weary is trying to balance the demands to conform and knowing
in my heart that it is my job as art teacher to teach them NOT to
conform.

Is not cleaning up at the bottom of the list of what we do as art educators?

Patty

---