kilns

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 18:00:36 PDT

I bought an old Cress kiln from someone in a nearby city. It has a plug
that does not fit the 220 socket in my basement, that powers the dryer. The
directions say that it is 230 wiring, but can be used with a 220 line, if a
licensed electrician changes the receptacle. My husband said that the plug
could be changed, but the directions say that it can only be replaced with
a plug having amperage and volatage capacity equal to that shown on a table
in the book (230). I am worried that the electricity in my house may not be
grounded. Also, it is a very old house that still uses screw-in fuses. The
people we bought it from had a receptacle that fit the plug in their
basement, but she only used it five times, she said. Does anyone have
experience or advice for me? Thanks.

Jean Womack

---