Getting the room clean

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 17:35:45 PDT

When I first starting having students clean the room, no one would volunteer
nor would they get up and get started when I asked them to...so I wrote
enough chores for each student to have something to do...wrote each chore on
a small piece of paper, folded each one and put them all in a box.

When they came in the room, I had each student draw one from the box and
that was their chore, whether they wanted to do it or not...one person had a
blank piece and could either sit and work on art or help anyone of their
choice. I gave them a grade for that day's work. I found that the person
that drew the "blank" always ended up helping...they felt guilty sitting
there.

After that first time, I never had to do this...they all have chores that
they don't mind doing and they are used to doing it now. There are always
those who complain and there are always some who are slack...and they are
the ones that I keep asking to help me...because I work also. I "run their
legs off"... having them put all the small stuff away. Each person who
works gets an extra "100"...and those who don't, get a "0". I tell them
they make the mess...they can clean up.

But my students are now used to cleaning...because we do it at least one a
month or so...and each class has to take turns cleaning the room.

Carolyn

---