Re: How do the kids know art is over?

---------

From: Marcia Lavery (miss_lavery_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 16:06:42 PDT

I teach jr. high. When I'm walking around the room trying to orchestrate "clean-up" and a kid isn't cleaning up, sometimes i"ll just (sarcastically) start singing that Barney clean-up song they all seem to know: "Clean up Clean up, everybody do their share..." They think it's funny and start to sing along too. They also know they can't leave the room until their table is clean and I won't write late passes to their next class. One or two times of keeping someone back will let them know I'm serious. I also call out loudly, "I see that TWO tables are ready to go! Good job guys! Who else is ready to go?" That makes them also double check their tables to see if they are the table that is ready to go. Excessive praise at the beginning of the quarter seems to help them get a routine going: "Wow! What a great job this table has done cleaning up! Thank you so much for cleaning so well. You are all ready to go when the bell rings." However, my princ. told me that I should find a way to get the kids to "ta
ke ownership" for their work areas, instead of me reminding them of what needs to be cleaned. Does anyone have a way to get them to clean without reminding them of each step? I don't know, I think at that age they tend to "forget" quickly what needs to be done and what they should be doing.