RE: last day of school

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 10:04:45 PDT

At 11:32 AM 5/21/03 -0400, you wrote:
>How do you get them to do this? My kids always whine and complain and
>sometimes even refuse. They have the attitude that "it's the custodians'
>job."

Hmmm. I guess I just indicate in my tone of voice that there is no
discussion about it. I am a "seasoned/experienced" teacher so maybe it is
easier these days to just demand that cleaning be done. They actually get a
big honk out of it. The key is,of course, that everyone gets a job. I have
lots of cleaning equipment out, and I start assigning tasks. "You organize
all those magazines...You sort the scrap drawer...You use this scraper and
get all the paint off the counter...You three, take the sinks!" I explain
that we are going to clean like crazy for at least 40 minutes and that they
can sit around for the final 15. Just do it with authority and keep
assigning jobs as each one is finished! Good luck.

Christa

---