Re: WEAVING! anyone got a great way to teach pattern or shapes weavingto elementary

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 08:12:08 PDT

Hi Christine - I weave pictures with six classes of 6th graders every year.

I have my students make a picture out of construction paper which we then tape
to the cardboard loom for them to follow. I discourage circles and hearts and
letters (Except OU and OSU and I or other letters without interior space or
angles)
Doing it in construction paper keeps them working in shapes not lines. If they
are really committed to a circle or heart, we add warp threads by taping them
between warps just in that area, so the warp is close enough to get those pesky
curves. (This works with the most diligent students only) They can't take them
home to work on until I have seen them join colors, and if they forget to bring
it back the scrub out the sink. That little addition helped a LOT with the
forgetting problem!

We remember that we are looking at the back of the weaving and so everything is
reversed. This helps because the exposed side can get pretty ratty looking after
they carry it around awhile!

I first have them weave construction paper so I can identify who is going to
have problems, then I can encourage very simple designs for them to avoid great
frustration.

I just photographed a 6th grader weaving on the digital camera I will try to get
posted somewhere. It is pretty awesome! These take most kids 3 weeks, some
longer some shorter. The ones who finish early make bookmarks or twisted cord
"jewelry" with my cord twister.

---