Re: Semester Finals in Art Class?

---------

From: Christa Wise (cwise_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 05:17:48 PDT

Debbie,
        Our seniors, who leave early, just took this exam yesterday. It has
become somewhat of a tradition at our school, so they actually look forward
to it.
        In the back pages of the book "Art Synectics" there is a spinner you can
copy (and construct with a paper fastener) for numbers 1-100. Each number
corresponds to a word like "fusion," "light," "love," "chain," or "window."
The kids spin for numbers which translate to three words. The assignment
is to create a composition that involves all three words in any choice of
media demonstrating what they already know about element and principles
(blah, blah). Following the visual component, they write a Type III that
explains the symbolism or use of these concepts in their work.
        It is sweet because everyone is doing something differen. Nobody can
cheat. You can even let them spin for words a few days in advance so they
can think about how they will solve the problem.
        For me it shows whether or not the student has proficiency "using the page
visually," conveying meaning, and using writing skills. You could make up
100 words on your own if you do not have the book and just ask kids to pick
three numbers from 1-100.
        Christa

---