Media Emphasis for Middle School Curriculum?

---------

From: Maggie Tucker (arttucker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 21:17:32 PDT

Dear gurus of the art dimension:

I am so tired of feeling like I give tastes of media (like at
Baskin-Robbins) when what I want to do is have students get familiar with a
media.j

Here's what I do with 7th graders in 5 1/2 weeks: teach one-point, blind
embossing, watercolor and we do some critiques. I have the kids for one
hour each day.

Next year I'd like to take one media and really delve into it. I'm
thinking I can do that with watermedia (value, contour lines with brush,
still life and landscape work) for one section. Do you think this would be
too stultifying? Has anybody else tried something like this? I could see
me teaching sections on sculpture; printmaking and watermedia, all with
dbae components, and rotating so I don't get bored and neither do the kids.

Opinions needed! (By the way, sixth graders really get grounded with
principles and elements, so I feel fairly comfortable about their
background.)
Maggie Tucker

arttucker@earthlink.net

---