Colette's school

---------

From: Colette C (ctcolwell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 17:26:20 PDT

Thank you again for all of your suggestions and ideas! They will be very
helpful. I will do what I can but there is only so much that can, and
should be, done by me.

I just wanted to give you an idea of what I am working with here. And, I
will vent a bit too. Some of you can relate I'm sure.

It's a different world here. I have only lived in this part of NC for about
a year. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. If I
weren't for free breakfast and lunch, many of my students wouldn't eat on a
regular basis... For open house, I didn't have any parents show up... I
have had 3 pregnant students this year... If a student gets injured or sick
at home over the weekend, many times the only medical attention that the
student gets is at school from the book-keeper. (she is also an EMT)...
Teachers try to contact parents, they don't always have phones or if they do
they don't show up for conferences...

I guess what I am saying is that it would be impossible to get the parents
to rally around and support the art program when they don't even give their
kids food and basic medical care. Maslow was on the money when he came up
with his hierarchy of needs!

So, anything that I can bring to these kids is more than they will ever get
anywhere. I truly believe that God has sent me here to the middle of
nowhere NC for a purpose. I sometime think of it as my ministry. It might
not even have anything to do with art. (heaven forbid!) Sometime there are
  rewards, however small. I could have cried for one of my students today
when she told me she wanted to name her baby after me. I was so sad that
the small amount of attention that she gets from me is about the only
positive attention that she ever gets.

Ok, enough of the whining. I'm lucky that we have an art program!!

I think that with all of the ideas that have been sent to me I will be able
to do some fun and quality art projects with my students.

Thank you!
Colette