Re: The MS budget that hit a nerve

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 20 2003 - 08:08:30 PDT

I agree for the most part but also I think our kids in poverty areas should
have the opportunity to use as high a quality materials as students in wealthy
areas. I don't want to perpetuate the idea that is already in their heads that
they will always be poor, always have junk and so we're teaching them to make
art from junk, even if we call it "recycled". I think it is probably more
useful to teach rich kids to value recycled materials, since poor kids already
do it every day at home.

Since they can buy watercolors/colored pencils/paper at Wal Mart, I think
learning to layer is (I know that was just a random example) a way they can
make the most out of what supplies they can get.

---