The MS budget that hit a nerve

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 21:25:45 PDT

I've been reading the reactions to Collette's problem
- to some extent I agree with all of them. I'm happy
to see the support, feel the outrage, fear taking too
bold of a stand when art programs are already at risk
across the nation, and continue to strive to be an
advocate for the arts in education.

As a result of her post and some of the winding down
of the school year and wondering what my students will
take with them, I am beginning to question exactly
what it is our goal should be when teaching in poverty
striken areas.

I know that Texas education standards are geared
towards getting MS students to explore a variety of
art media, but are we teaching students that they
can't make art if the don't have the right materials?

Also, isn't this elitist concept of art what so many
artists have been revolting against in the last 50-
100 years?

Granted, few students will become "real" artists. I
suppose a few might go into graphics or other design
industries, but is a understanding of watercolor
layers required?

I admit I don't know how intense getting into good art
schools is these days - mastery of a variety of media
may be considerably significant...

I just hope my 6th grade students feel less inhibited
about approaching art (whether in a museum, creating
their own or that they encounter in their daily life)
when they leave my class. I don't remember this
mentioned in the standards though - Dawn