How do the kids know art is over?

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 20:04:06 PDT

Jill said

> What do you all say to the kids when art is over? Today my principal walked
> to observe me and she didn't like me saying "CLEAN UP TIME!!" She thought I
> rushed the kids too much. She suggested clapping three times. (huh?) What do
> you say when it's time to clean up and scram? Thanks everyone!!!!

AH Pavlov's dogs-- click, flick, snap ------respond----- I've never been
able to bring myself to use these signals.
I like the franticness of "clean-up" cause I like that kids are so
engaged in my class they don't want to leave or clean up and any
administrator that gives me guff about closure gets an earful from me
How we choose to bring the necessary end to our activity is our choice and
how we teach them to cooperatively bring that end is our choice and I will
not snap my fingers or clap my hands because these are not dogs

"Clean up time" is language understood clapping your hands is some
gadget that is not so human

but then again I don't know many administrators that are human

Patty

---