Jill- art stars

---------

From: Susan Holland (Susan_Holland_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 19:38:44 PDT

An art star is a little part of my reward system. I have 6 tables and
throughout the class, I tally stars for table groups doing the right thing. I
will mark stars on my dry erase chart as we go along- for quiet tables,
everybody working, being nice, etc. I erase them if a table starts being loud
or out of seat too much or argues over supplies. If all 6 tables have at least
one star at the end of class, the class earns an art star to take back to their
teacher. These are 4X6 inch papers with a design xerox-ed on them. When I
have a class that earns 8 art stars, they get to have an "art reward day" aka:
free choice art centers.
Marking the stars on the dry erase board helps me keep things positive. For
instance, if it's getting too loud, I can call out "Blue table has three stars
already!" instead of "except for blue table, you are all too loud." Most of my
kids are just competitive enough to try and get the most stars, so they get
quiet or whatever. And they get more stars for being cleaned up first, so that
helps with the end of class. If a class is doing fine, I really only mark
stars at the beginning and end.

susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---