Re: Hyper-tufa pots

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 15:40:43 PDT

Hyper-tufa is my favorite summertime sculpture technique. There are several recipes and it seems everyone has their favorite.

I use equal parts portland cement, sphagnum peat moss, and Sand, vermiculite or perlite. I've included some links from my favorite Garden Junk site. :-) The neat thing about this medium is that it is a great for outdoor artwork. It is deceptively light. I don't know if I would do it with students because of the cement - should I continue this practice or allow students to do this with some precautions?

http://community.webshots.com/album/26320583CSRzHmLUFO - 4 albums worth of this person's personal 'tufa' and other interesting pictures.

http://www.buy-christmas.com/infopages/summeraccents.htm - ideas

http://gardening.about.com/library/weekly/aa091699.htm - how-to guide and an idea.

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/homehort/hypertufa.htm - another how-to with photos

http://www.living-stone.co.nz/ - a neat site

http://www.goelvis.com/newca/appeal/garden/060201/e2hyper.htm - magazine article and photos

http://www.mossgreengarden.co.nz/garden.html - couple of neat pictures of 'tufa'.

http://www.earthpottery.net/pottery.htm - pictures of Hypertufa pots.

http://www.heartlands.co.nz/living_stone.htm

http://www.potsplus.com/ - ideas and some 'tufa'

http://users.lanminds.com/~drewid/concrete_faq.html - written info about concrete and options

http://www.flash.net/~blhill/pages.aux/pond/rogaine/rogaine.html - another moss recipie.

Enjoy! And let me know if you have any questions. :-)
~Michal

  Hyper-tufa pots? tell all - recipes, how-tos, etc! Sounds cool!

  Jan

---