Re: How do the kids know art is over?

---------

From: James Andrews (andrewsj_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 17:29:33 PDT

    Exactly how are the words, "clean up," not a signal that your administrator recognizes? Any child that does not recognize and respond to such a simple request, no matter what their learning style, should be a serious candidate for retention. So, too, should your principal have been. Cleaning up is a very important part of maintaining a studio. It is important for the kids to do a thurough job and to do so in a time-frame that does not eat up too much class time. Don't worry about what to say to your students; you are doing fine there. It's the yo-yo looking over your shoulder you need to address. Tell your principal to lighten up and go micro-manage someone else. Find a way to say it that doesn't leave genuine cause for termination, but definitely say it. If you don't, expect her to continue to find more ridiculous things you should "improve" in your delivery. She's a control freak.
-James

James C. Andrews
Art Teacher
Kingston Junior High School
9000 NE West Kingston Road
Kingston, WA 98346
desk# (360) 297-9276

It is not the oath that makes us believe the man, but the man
the oath. - Aeschylus (525-456 BC) --Ancient Greek soldier,
playwright