Re: help Colette /long-Marcia

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 17:22:19 PDT

Excellent point Marcia! I couldn't agree with you more. But, Collette is still getting my old colored pencils.

Jayna

Mbhirst@aol.com wrote:
Ok.....here I go......spouting off my opinions....Please don't think I am trying to start some kind of negative gritching thread....but I am truly concerned about the trend that Colette speaks of....the "hit them in their wallets" mentality that is moving into the schools (again). I think some of my feelings were stirred up by seeing Bowling for Columbine last night. Anyway........ delete now if you're not interested in a veteran art teacher's slightly bitter opinion:
I am uneasy and disagreeable with the idea that we, as educators, the students and parents (taxpayers), are voluntarily organizing fundraising efforts to subsidize the arts (and other things) in our public schools!! If we are successful (which we will be because we are creative, resourceful and devoted), the administrators, the public, the legislators, the governors, etc. will get the idea that we can support ourselves! This is BAD because even though we CAN (temporarily or in a pinch) raise funds and support, this is a RESPONSIBILITY of the system- NOT of the individuals. The whole issue relates back to advocacy and communication about what our value is to the education system and to our culture. Instead of having bake sales and car washes to buy tempera paint with....we should be educationg the public as to their need for us...
We should be organizing them to demand their citizenly rights to quality education rather than trying to get them to donate money! Remember the well known T-shirt slogan:
"It will be a great day when our schools get all the money they need and the Air Force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber" ?
Maybe we need to get our silkscreens out and make some new shirts.

Marcia