Re: Lesson Plans using recycled materials

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 14:38:23 PDT

Neat idea LeAnn.... Another idea just popped into my head that a coworker
did one year. Marisol inspired bottle people. Use any kind of recycled
bottle (could be wine bottles - 2 liter bottles - whatever). Twist around
some wire for arms and legs (seated figures). Make wad of newspapers for
head....built up arms and legs with newspaper - and paper mache the entire
figure - all using end rolls of brown paper toweling (my custodian saved
them for me for all sorts of paper mache projects). Final layer can be done
with tissue paper and watered down glue (or Mod-Podge). Faces can be put on
using magazine cut outs glued to tag board scraps - or simply collaged on.
Students might find junk in the toy box they could use (like an old "Barbie"
type doll for arms and legs) - You just never know.....

Keep the ideas coming....Maybe Colette (and others) will have time to try
some of these this year.

Subject: RE: Lesson Plans using recycled materials

> I was planing to do a quick lesson that has to do with this topic. I did
> something like this in college in my middle school art ed class. Our
teacher
> gave us a plastic bag filled with odd things: a plastic egg carton, 2
> popsicle sticks, a paper towel roll etc. and we had to create somthing out
> of the items. We didn't have to use all the materials if we didn't want to
> and I think we could add other materials that we had laying around. There
> was a handout that went with the lesson (who knows where that went). The
> project turned out pretty good. We also had to name our invention and give
> blurb about what it did. Kinda like a sales pitch of sorts. I am planning
> do a group project like this with my kids next week. I want it to be
> successful so am kinda not sure if the group way is best. Hope this helps
> and if anyone has suggestions for similar please tell..
> LeAnn

---