Lesson Plans using recycled materials

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 13:33:03 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

In reading all of your mail, it sounds like more than Colette could use
lessons using recycled materials. I know you are too busy to even think
about it now - but I thought I would throw the idea out there in case anyone
has lesson plans to share. Post to the list - and I can get the plans from
you over the summer to put on Incredible Art Department - These can be any
grade level. I will sort them (indicate in your email what grade level).
One artist I always wanted to use as inspiration for junk sculptures (use
scrap Styrofoam - covered with plaster gauze or paper mache) is Paul de Toit
http://www.pauldutoit.com

Paul de Toit will be an "Incredible Artist" in an upcoming month - I
received this information from him recently (I had written to him before):
New Paintings Officially Released May 1, 2003
http://www.pauldutoit.com/paintings.htm
Presenting Paul's Bronze Sculptures
http://www.pauldutoit.com/bronzes.htm
2003 Studio Drawings Officially Released May 1, 2003
http://www.pauldutoit.com/drawings.htm
Public Sculpture in Johannesburg
http://www.pauldutoit.com/insomnia.htm

I have done Marisol inspired sculptures with cardboard boxes - we put a
plaster gauze mask form on them, paper mached, painted and added collage
materials one year. Another year, we splatter painted them or stamp printed
patterns on them. We used wood scraps that were donated from the lumber
yards and miss shops.

I have seen some very nice Frank Stella inspired relief sculptures done
using scrap card board.

Anyone want to brainstorm on more ideas using recycled materials?

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/