Irises are in bloom - elementary project

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 17:56:47 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

My irises are in bloom - and are just beautiful! Mother Day was a popular
search last week on IAD - so I was reminded of a project that Roberta Dunkle
submitted to ArtsEdNet a few years ago. Hand print iris paintings.
It is the Iris painted with the hand. First place several iris
colors (blues - purples in different values - tempera) in a Styrofoam tray
plus white. Roberta used blue, purple, hot pink and white.Green in another
container. The child is then guided to curve his hand into
a C shape and dip this hand into the paint getting a bit of each color -
then help him stamp this shape onto an 9 x 12
sheet of heavy drawing paper. This is the first half of the iris. Next turn
the paper upside down and reload the C shaped hand with color. Again stamp -
this time next to the first C shape. A bud can be made with the fist closed
and then stamped. The leaves and stems can
be drawn with a finger dipped into the green (or painted on later). Lots of
fun and the kids love to give them for Mothers Day.

Here is how Jean did it:

1. 3 rows of color, blue, purple, fluorescent.pink (tempera) on a large
plastic plate (not mixed)
2. dip side of hand in paint randomly picking up a little of each color
3. make a "C" shape with hand and wiggle the hand on the paper in 3-4
spots - keeping the "heel " of the hand in one spot so the flower has a
center. (think of the shape of the leaves of an iris and it makes sense.

I did 3 flowers on a 9 x 24 sheet having the kids make each flower above the
last. The stems and leaves are painted with green watercolor, the yellow
part of the flower I had them dot with their pinkie finger.

The images I have on file must be from Jean (they are all long vertical
format) See an example:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/iris.jpg

Anyone wanting to share a picture of your project this way (through IAD
Files folder) is welcome to do so.
The Iris painting will be put on Incredible Art Department on our "Holiday
Ideas" page for elementary - a gift of ART. Use Vincent Van Gogh's Irises as
inspiration.
http://www.tigtail.org/TVM/X2/c.PImpressionism/van-gogh/M/van-gogh_blue_iris
es.jpg or http://tinyurl.com/c2sv
http://www.lyons.co.uk/paintings9/Large/Gogh_irises.jpg
http://www.harley.com/abstract-art/images/(vangogh)-irises.jpg
or http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/gogh/irises/ (four images)

(Jean - if you are still on the list - I don't have your last name on file)

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/