Re: Refinish wood table tops

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 13:41:10 PDT

Can they be sanded? If not, I would open the windows, take paper towels and douse them in bleach, lay them on the stains, cover in plastic trash bags, and leave them overnight to see if that works. I would fill the gash marks with wood filler, then cover the entire surface with either polyeurethane or wood floor sealer. There may be more technically correct answers, so I'm interested in seeing what other ideas spring up!
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

      My art room has large(3x4 feet) wood top tables. The wood is unusual, it looks like a block of compressed sawdust. No telling how old these tables are, most probably ancient :)
      Over the years the tops have become stained with paint, markers etc plus there are gash marks from cutting into the tables.
      Any suggestions on how to best remove the stains, what to use to easily sand away the gash marks and what to seal the top with for a durable finish. I don't want to use paint.
      Any help is greatly appreciated, this site has the best resource advice!
       Thanks Jean in Michigan

---