Setting up a new art room?

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 11:06:23 PDT

Does anyone remember when we had the thread on designing a new art room? I
would like to direct Christine to the Getty archives.....Below is her post
to ArtsEducators if anyone wants to respond. I will forward to her.
(She is going to help Colette - so I am helping her) ~ Judy

From Christine T cbranyik@sk.sympatico.ca

Our school is being given a major renovation and in the process a couple
things have happened: I get a brand new room, but it has to be used as a
regular classroom when there is no art class going on. (1/2 time)

My principal's idea of an art room is to provide a storage room for
supplies accessable from the room. That's it. There are even desks in
the room instead of tables. Frustrating. Although he is supportive of
the art program, he feels the academics have ultimate priority and that
the kids, while in their for their academics concentrate better in desks
instead of using the art table as is currently done. (I wonder how my
art students will concentrate working on the surface of a desk?)

Still, I feel as though he will genuinely look at any suggestions I have
for making it more of an art room. My question is, is there a thread in
the archives that discusses classroom configuration? I've searched the
net and come up empty. Does anyone have a site in their bookmarks that
might have suggestions as to setting up a new room?

Although the plans were drafted for this room in March, I got them on
Thursday and I have until Wed. to add or delete objects in the room! I'm
glad I GET the chance, but sheesh!

I can scan the plans if anyone feels like an architectural challenge.
Thanks again!

I will definately have some stuff to send to Colette after we close the
old school in June. Has her address been posted?

(P.S. for Christine - you need Getty ArtsEdNet Talk archives, too....When
you can - Please write a short letter to save Getty ArtsEdNet Talk and Web
site....I need them before the end of the month. Include your full name,
school name and location ~ Judy Decker Jdecker@woh.rr.com).

---