Re: Is it something I am doing or not doing or are students "shutting down"?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 09:54:40 PDT

JKGIBB1@aol.com wrote:

> With June 4th (last day for students) and the Washington, DC 8th grade trip
> just around the corner, my students are acting like it is summer vacation
> already! Each day, it is harder to keep them on task and keep them
> motivated. Any suggestions?

The end of the year is always difficult. Our last day for students is
June 3rd.
We have a very large art fair all next week (about 400 pieces). Hanging
the art,
judging it, voting on winners, counting ballots, taking the work down
and sending
it all home keeps us busy. Thursday night we have a Our Fine Arts
Festival in the
evening with music, art, and multicultural exhibits. Tuesday I'll show
2400 digital
slides I made of students working in art classes. My 6th graders are reading
"Linnea in Monet's Garden". My 7th and 8th graders are making Kaleidocycles.
I have one class making clay faces for bird houses. The secret seems to be:
Keep them busy with serious work that doesn't use tons of supplies while
we all
celebrate the end of a great year. Near the end there will be a day of
awards with
a field day in the afternoon. Then follows two days of final exams and a couple
days of cleaning, counting and packing. That's how we are ending our
year. I'm sure
there are as many ways of coping as there are art teachers. Now, if it
wasn't for
this damn cold in my throat it would go even better. Good luck to
everyone on a
successful finish to your year.

My plans are to end school on June 4th, to pack on June 5th and to drive west
toward New Mexico on the morning of June 6th. Taos here I come.

                                                                Woody in KC

--
28 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
in powerpoint format, on one CD $15