Re: Sargent mural web site

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 08:20:51 PDT

Sargent muralThanks Patty! I am definitely going to take a look. Murals are
a popular topic on our list.
I am interested in other good mural sites (of course I already have Richard
Haas - sp?)

>>The Sargent Murals at the Boston Public Library [Quicktime]
http://sargentmurals.bpl.org/

Best known as a portrait painter for the rich and fashionable, John Singer
Sargent worked for nearly 30 years (1890-1919) on a monumental mural cycle,
_Triumph of Religion_, installed in the Boston Public Library's main
building, designed by McKim, Mead, and White and opened in Copley Square in
1895. Since 1919, the murals have deteriorated considerably, and this Web
site presents their current restoration, as well as their creation story,
with many images and biography of their creator, John Singer Sargent. For
example, navigate through Description and Interpretation in the Murals
section for an explanation of why Sargent's selection of a religious topic
for a public building, odd-seeming to our 21th century sensibilities, was in
fact a 19th century expression of a progressive, Enlightenment idea. See the
Restoration section for discussion of Sargent's use of non-traditional
materials in the murals, such as adding relief or raised elements, which
unfortunately complicate the restoration process. The site also includes an
Images section for those who just want to see the pictures and Quicktime
movies. Soon, a live camera will be added. [DS]

---