Re: Is it something I am doing or not doing or are students "shutting down"?

---------

From: kavita ghai (kavitaghai2002_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 06:48:27 PDT

hi irene,
i would not say u are going wrong i think we all loose patience once in a while i believe its not osing patience as much that also we get overworked ,i have been facing a similar probelm witha few of my students they jes walk out of the room,i can't leave the students in class to look for them,we have a huge spread out campus to lookin for them isn't easy ,they are not small kids 13 year olds,
the other day when they came for class i made them all sit and told them abt how i feel by the way they behave and that i don't want to yell at them,i want them to enjoy in my class it was a long talk ,that day they remained in discipline ,i play music for them if they are working properly,hope to get the same response next week.
wish u the best
kavita

JKGIBB1@aol.com wrote:
Hello, everyone--

With June 4th (last day for students) and the Washington, DC 8th grade trip
just around the corner, my students are acting like it is summer vacation
already! Each day, it is harder to keep them on task and keep them
motivated. Any suggestions?

Also, is it me or the time of year? I admit that my patience is running on
empty. I just wish my students were performing as they did up until spring
break. I feel I am doing something "wrong".

By the way, last year I presented the topic of a points/demerit system that
my school was going to adopt to address discipline issues and to insure
consistency in dealing with offenders. So many of you wrote to say that if
the administrators do not follow through in enforcing consequences, the
system would not work.

Well, the principal and our "director of students" have not followed through.
A lot of the referrals (when a student reaches thirty points) are never
dealt with. Detentions are skipped with no follow-ups. Last week, several
kids got into fights in the cafeteria or hallways and nothing was done.

Just wanted to let those of you who gave the caveat about administrators
being consistent were right.

Irene