Clay Chimes Fundraiser idea

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 18:19:27 PDT

Colette - I don't know if you have access to a kiln -- but here is a project
that was successful for Charlot (of Art Education Group).

On this side of the world students 12 and over have the possibility of
participating in a programme called SCOOPS. it functions as a kind of
mini-company which the kids set up (president, secretary, treasurer and so
on) the aim of which is to give the kids a feel of the business world. The
kids have to market a product, which they make/assemble/put together.
Needless to say they turn to their art teachers for inspirations!

well one year we decided we would do clay chimes. very simple to make but
extremely effective.

You need

a kiln
clay
cookie cutters
fishing line
beads
lots of patience!

and we had sold each chime for about 5 dollars (in local currency) but each
product had not cost more than 1! so there is a net profit there, plus, the
kids love it!

each chime consists of a centre piece - a circle of clay - pinched into a
bell like shape. put a thick coil handle at the top and 8 holes round the
base.

cut out 14 clay cookies for each chime, different shapes and sizes. the kids
loved putting the different shapes together - stars and moons, flowers and
leaves, etc. make holes in each shape.

bisque fire everything.

using fishing line, thread the cookies. you should have

2 lines with 3 clay cookies each
2 with 2 ...
4 with 1 ...

insert a bead after each clay cookie - limit the colour for maximum effect.

attach to centre piece and there you go...

they sold like hot cakes. we had planned to make a 100 but got orders for
another 150! admittedly you will not want to hear anything chime for a long
time after you are done - but it is a surefire way of making a substantial
profit. mother's day or christmas is an ideal time...

c.

---