Re: Grots lesson plan on Michal Austin's site

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 16:53:15 PDT

Sorry I'm just now getting back with you and Judy on this lesson - I have
been in survival mode this week, but now that I have my 3 art shows over, my
daughter's college graduation today (she got her Associates and is going to
get her bachaelor's in education), and my son has finally lettered in track
I think I can breathe now! :-) The story of the grots was a page I found
online last year and of course the site is gone now. I will see if I can get
in touch with some other women that were making grots last summer. The ones
I made were out of hyper-tufa and can be seen at
http://community.webshots.com/user/whest177 under "My Backyard Gardens"
(mine were abit stranger than some of the others! *L* - I got abit carried
away) The idea behind the grots is that they shared their forest with ogres,
goblins, and gremlins, only they are not as mean. This is the same time
period as unicorns, fairies, and elves, only grots are not as mystical or
beautiful. They are shy creatures that live under the dirt and occasionally
poke their heads up to see what is going on. They resemble stones, and this
is why they never got into the major storybooks - they are so shy and
secretive that they were never seen. I'll dig at school to see if I can find
my info on them - or maybe I'll just see if I can rewrite it and put it on
my site. :-)
~*~Michal~*~
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids

> I found the lesson under the bad hair day link. I love this lesson. You
> mentioned a book "the grots" that was used? Is/Was that the name of the
> book. I would love to incorporate some reading into my art lessons. Any
> additonal info would be greatly appreciated.
> LeAnn

>Here is the link to Michal's lesson - another good one! I remember a thread
>we had not all that long ago. Michal posted a link to some grots she has
>made and some links to tell us how to make our own....I wonder If I can
find
>them?
>http://www.geocities.com/theartkids/middleschool/grot.html

---