copying

---------

From: kavita ghai (kavitaghai2002_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 07:22:38 PDT

hi sharon,
i did not face exactly the problem u are facing but a similar one exactly a year back when i joined this school,
the teacher before me would do most of the work for the students and the students jes did the finishing (i teach sculpture) he only taught clay sculpture,the sculptures were huge and did not even look a childs work,and above all every work looked the same ,and that teacher was teaching in school for more than 20 years ,believe me i had a terrible time breaking the thought process.
not only the students but other staff in school also thought i was not teaching the right sculpture coz how could a person teaching for so long can be wrong,thankfully the headmaster of the school agreed to my method of work so i could carry on.it took me approx six months to convince the students,and i introduced new materials and various methods of making sculpture.the works made by my students were not huge and neat like earlier ones but every work was individual and completely a work of the student.
at the annual school show i complied a brochure talking abt the students work and explaing why i did so,so i got the parents support as well,
the number of students comming to me has increased (my subject is optional),though still some old teachers in school feel i am not teaching the right way but i have overcome the stage when even the students said that what i was teaching them was wrong,
thanks to artsed net from where i got constant support in ways of ideas etc .
i don't think i'm being any help to u by telling u how to overcome your problem but i'm sure if u continue working with them with your methods and make them feel happy and confident abt their work u'll finally get them out of their copying
all the best
kavita
india