RE: ideas

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 14:12:09 PDT

When my students draw and paint from life I have them start slowly. We discuss composition, space, shape and form. We start with simple dots to show on the paper where the top, bottom, and sides should be of each object. Then we use contour lines to lightly sketch the objects in. Stress that detail is not important at this point. Add details when all other lines appear correct, then value after that. My students are often amazed at how well they can suddenly draw after beginning step by step. Also, it helps if you set up interesting still lifes, such as cow skulls or machine parts, or whatever.

Jayna

SHARON HAUSE <HAUSESH@medford.k12.wi.us> wrote:
I replaced a retired art teacher in the high school who allowed students to locate prints, photos and such and use an opaque projector to trace and then they colored them in. This was done in painting, drawing, and any two -dimensional project. I am trying to break them of this habit and to be more original and to work from life.
My advanced painters are having the most difficultly with this concept. Suggestions please.