Re: answering a question about Getty

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 14:06:34 PDT

From a concerned ArtsEdNet Talk list member:

>>I have been swamped with the yearbook and I don't know what your campaign
is all about. Is Getty site shutting down?

Thanks for asking. I know you won't mind if I answer your question to the
list....I have answered many, many inquiries off list - so from now on, I
will post my responses to the list (and include the address of the sender).
They are going to be re-thinking their focus....They will decide over the
summer what to keep - what's going to go -- what fits best in their new web
design - what fits best with their collections -etc. ArtsEdNet Talk has been
causing them more troubles that it is worth....Online materials just haven't
been getting enough action. Getty just doesn't know what all we need. They
did a survey a while back to try to find out and only 400 or so bothered to
answer it...and most were "incomplete or duds" (Nick Brod's exact words). We
have already lost the online archives search feature and digest option for
receiving mail (those already on digest can still get it --but no one else
new can).... The join feature was offline yesterday, but I see that is back
online today. And you can see that they totally lost interest in adding to
our archives online. Februrary and March are slim pickings ---and I know we
talked so much more than that. I don't know if it will make a difference,
but we thought if we had a letter writing campaign - maybe our "voice" would
be heard. I have volunteered to collect all of the letters (sent to my
address Jdecker@woh.rr.com) and compile to get off to Nick Brod before the
first of June (his deadline for writing his report). He has those survey
results -- but they just don't give him a clear picture. If you need any
help deciding what features of the site you would like to keep -I'd be happy
to oblige. I know EVERYONE has been swamped. This is really poor timing.
Just get your letter sent before the end of the month. Include your name -
position - and school name so he knows where all of this is coming from. I w
on't be posting your letters to the list (I did post Kavita's from India
because I was so thrilled to get it)....What I will do is post a list of
members who have written a letter - so we all can thank them. I continue to
thank each and everyone individually as I just can't help it (smile). BTW
folks, I have been asking the other lists for their support, too. I got one
letter from them so far. (I am no longer posting to the World list though --
so they will depend on the rest of us)

Judy Decker
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department