RE: MS budget $100 for year Write Grants

---------

From: Jancy & Mike Cossin (jmcossin_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 12:53:52 PDT

Write grants! I just received two grants for programs I've developed for next year. (one for $200.00 and one for $1,000.00) There are many grants out there to be had.
Popular topics with funders: any integrated work between the core areas, collaboration between grades levels or with other teachers, and community connections.
To see info about the program in which I received the larger money amount see www.mossfoundation.org . It is under this years awards. It is also a fabulous organization that promotes special education in the arts and bringing out each child's innate ability. Today I attended a professional development day and they passed out a big packet on writing grants. Do an internet search and you'll find a number of them available- everything from ones offered from Walmart to the EPA. Also go to local businesses. One teacher in our district said to hit the banks. In return for giving her money to help her build special programs, she exhibits artwork in their workplace.
Jancy

"Hillmer, Jan" <hillmjan@Berkeleyprep.org> wrote:
Perhaps some local companies would be willing to make donations or even small grants if your creations somehow support them . Also, wherever parents work, there are throwaways. Sometimes they are pretty darn cool - I have a full box "Fecal Occult Blood Test" (don't think too hard) which translates in the art room to skinny popsicle sticks. A visiting artist came once and brought along lots of watercolor and watercolor paper - he had contacted a company who donated a classroom set. We stretched that set to 3 classrooms over 2 years. Grocery stores have donated styro trays for printing. I got a great stack of misprinted invitations from a printer - used the back of them..... Also, ask for all supplies that students and teachers are throwing away in anticipation of next year. Don't forget garage sales.

My coolest project was a Shekere http://www.drums.org/djembefaq/v8b.htm#covering made of throw-away plastic drink bottles, string found at garage sales and beads from one of those beaded car seatpads from a couple of years ago. I sprang for some colored beads, too. The kids loved them.
Jan