Re: ideas

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 11:11:07 PDT

Although I agree that the retired teacher had probably quit teaching
years before they retired, tracing is not always evil. Right now my 6th
graders, who have never had elementary art and who I only get for a few
weeks, are transferring traced art history images to watercolor paper,
and we are learning watercolor techniques. In this assignment I have
learned that if they are faced with the "drawing" hurdle, they never get
to understand glazing or any other watercolor techniques beyond
"coloring in". They are doing really well and saying things like "I
really need to practice graded washes". They are excited about
watercolor, rather than going into a freezing panic about drawing.

I teach representational drawing seperately and we don't try putting
them together until they get farther along. Maybe it's just my kids, but
doing both at the same time is just too overwhelming.