fun for me! acting Matisse

---------

From: MAK ~ MaryAnn Kohl (mak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu May 15 2003 - 16:35:46 PDT

Thought I'd share something I'm doing tomorrow For a young artists
conference in Ferndale, Washington. I will have four different groups of
kids, from age k-6. They wanted me to focus on a great master, and do an art
project in that style. I chose Matisse, because I have always loved his
paper cut-out phase. When the kids enter the room, I will be dressed as
Matisse, sitting up in bed (his last years were such), cutting paper and
talking about my art. Then we'll do some paper cut-outs as a follow up. I
will also show them some pictures of Matisse and his work. I have found some
beautiful quotes from Matisse that will be my dialog.

Like:
Matisse draws blindfolded and says, "I wanted to see if I had the image in
my fingers."
"My drawing effort (cutting paper) is flowering after 50 years of effort."
Matisse draws in the air before drawing on the paper, saying "When my hand
makes a strange journey of its own, it is that I had not yet begun to sing."
About being bedridden: "I can't get up any more. So I had my bed moved to
the largest room in the house, and here I work." He is covered with a yellow
blanket with red flowers. Working with large scissors, he cuts away at
paper. He tapes charcoal to a fishing pole and draws on the ceiling and
wall.
He once said, "I feel all the curiosity of a traveler in a foreign land. I
go forward totally in my expression of color."
About cutting paper, "I am like a medieval sculptor carving into stone." and
"With only scissors and paste, I set a dancer free."
Having drawn his grandchildren on the ceiling over his bed, "I drew my grand
children on the ceiling today., They keep me company."
When asked if he would go back to painting. "I have plenty of time for that
- I'm only 83!"
Other quotes:
My work is like peering into a mirror that is steamed over.
Copying objects is nothing. One must express feelings!
My life is an effort that stems from my search for the truth.
I want my art to fill rooms with gaiety, a place to make people happy.

=======================
   mak@brightring.com
    www.brightring.com

MaryAnn Kohl