Teaching Social Studies with Art Themes -anyone?

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 14:32:51 PDT

From Ann:

Interesting that you should ask the science/art/math question as I was
writing a letter to my principal about an idea I had to teach social
studies using art themes from the Getty. He didn't "get" that our NCA
goals had anything to do with art. Our goals are to apply scientific
method to solve problems, improve expository writing, and informational
reading. Any ideas to help. I attached the letter I sent him.
Thanks
ann

Reply to acarolan@inland.k12.mi.us - or to the list with any ideas you may
have. I have Ann's letter to her administrator and will forward at your
request (Looks like a summer topic for us, too, Ann). Wow - I looked over
the letter that Ann wrote to her administrator. There are a lot of Getty
resources she needs for next year (allalready posted to the list). I asked
Ann to revise her letter to Nick Brod so he knows her needs. Wouldn't it be
GREAT is she could even get her administrator to write a letter, too (have
him snail mail it, Ann - on school letterhead)! I know I am dreaming....but
it sure would be nice if they knew that administrators count on the Getty
online resources being there too. As you already know Ann - my site is
packed full of ideas for teaching social studies through art....We can put
our heads together over the summer ...list some specific ideas/projects by
grade level.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department