Re: Math-Science-Art Integration - need help - elementary

---------

From: James Andrews (andrewsj_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 13:41:25 PDT

    I believe that interdisciplinary lessons can be a good thing. However,
more often than not art is seen merely as a tool for teaching the "more
important" or "core" subject matter. I think that art teachers need to be
very wary of administrators directing them to come up with more and more
integrated lessons. Visual art is its own discipline and needs to be treated
as such. In the course of working with my district on plans for a second
high school I discovered that they were originally planning to not even have
a dedicated art room---The response from some of the powers that be was that
they were hoping to "just integrate art into the curriculum more." After a
long period of time spent informing these morons how ignorant their ideas
were we now will have at least two dedicate art spaces (one for drawing &
painting and the other for sculpture & pottery) and another two spaces that
will be shared with other disciplines that we will use to teach digital art.
It is a constant battle folks. Never assume that everyone you deal with has
the best intentions and truly supports the arts. We are expensive to
maintain and so always a target for downsizing.
Yours,
James

James C. Andrews
Art Teacher
Kingston Junior High School
9000 NE West Kingston Road
Kingston, WA 98346
desk# (360) 297-9276

Loyalty isn't standing by someone when he's right... that's good
judgment. Loyalty is standing by someone when he's wrong. -
Susan Estrich