Middle School Art Teachers (Karen and all)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 11:12:42 PDT

Please allow me to have some fun....You folks just get back to me when you
have time - but before the end of the month I need to write my own letter,
too.

Dear Nick Brod,

I am a middle school art teacher. The amount of material I have to cover can
be overwhelming! I can not thank you enough for Getty ArtsEdNet Talk. It has
given me a chance to communicate and collaborate with teachers all over the
world -- to share ideas and lesson plans for the many artists and cultures
we study. There is no way I could do it alone. Just the other day I was
searching the Internet for multicultural art ideas and so many ArtsEdNet
Talk posts came up in my search. I would hate to lose that valuable wealth
of information.

This summer, I am developing curriculum materials for my units of study and
am exploring all that is on the Getty ArtsEdNet Web Site. The amount of time
that went into compiling those resource must have been phenomenal, to say
the least. Below are just some of the many resources I use:

Arts of India
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Maps/india.html

Looking at Ancient Greece and Rome:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Beauty/index.html

Multicultural Art Print Series -curriculum materials
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Maps/index.html

American Indian Artifacts:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Maps/indian.html

Worlds of Art:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Worlds/index.html

Mexican American Art
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Maps/mex.html

Mexican American Murals:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Murals/index.html

Navajo Art : A Way of Life:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Navajo/index.html

Trajan's Rome fits right into my course of study - and is used
interdisciplinary with Social Studies:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Trajan/index.html

Integrating Art History and Art Criticism: Printmaking with a Japanese
Influence
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Aeia/history-lp.html Lessons like
these save me valuable time. I am easily able to adapt them to my grade
level.

And I could go on...... Please do let our Getty ArtsEdNet Talk List Serve
know what we can do to insure these units and resources will be available as
I make my plans.

Worlds of Art and Understanding Art Worlds gives me a chance to tie it all
together - as does Our Place in the World:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Artworlds/index.html
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Worlds/index.html
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Place/index.html

Not only have I found the lesson plans and units helpful but I refer often
to the image base on the site. I like to vary the artists I cover from year
to year and ArtsEdNet Web site gives me so many from which to choose:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/images/index.html
Jacob Lawrence is one I try to cover every year as his work fits so nicely
in with what is covered in the social studies classes on Harriet Tubman and
the great migration. He also happens to be one of my personal "heroes".
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/jacoblawrence/gallery.htm
My students have also enjoyed see work of contemporary artists such as Sandy
Skoglund:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/images/Skoglund/gallery1.html.

These are only a selection of what I value on ArtsEdNet Web Site. Please try
to get the message across to our ArtsEdNet Talk List Serve what we art
educators can do to insure these resources will be available for future use.
We have come to depend on ArtsEdNet Talk so much.

Thank you in advance for your time and dedication to art education. I only
wish we had been more appreciative over the years.

Sincerely,

Middle School Art Teacher
Any School
Any City State or Country.