Who are your heros? - one of my "passions"

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 10:29:00 PDT

From: "Betty Bowen" <bbowen@cushingms.k12.ok.us>
Subject: Re:Jacob Lawrence

> I'm also going to Tres Culturas because of artsednet, if you can use that
info.

I will add that in my letter to Nick Brod - I know there are several on the
list that I have seen post they are going....This list sure does bring the
world closer together, doesn't it?. There is NOTHING of its kind anywhere.

> Right now my students are starting a "Hero" sequence after looking at and
> talking about the Artsednet Jacob Lawrence's Harriet Tubman series. They
just
> finished Harriet Tubman in American History two weeks ago, so they were
very
> familiar with her story. The new history teacher was thrilled by the
overlap. I have shared the
> excellent timeline included in that site with her.

I have found MANY resources on ArtsEdNet http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/
to use in my heroes units, too! I really want this unit for IAD - it is sure
to be popular - I sure hope these resources stay online. - I remember seeing
you list them specifically in your letter (yes I do read them - I know you
folks don't mind)
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/jacoblawrence/1over.htm

What I really like is how art can record history too:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/jacoblawrence/2over.htm

And art can say so much about who we are:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/jacoblawrence/3over.htm

Jacob Lawrence is just one of my Artists as Heroes..... I have John Biggers
too:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/images/Biggers/gallery1.html

I introduce women artists as "heroes" too:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Maps/Women/index.html

> We're making most of the pictures with construction paper cut-outs
inspired by
> Lawrence's technique....They understand this technique best when they
realize it is "OH, like
> South Park!".

Love the South Park connection - I hate that show btw - but I know the kids
love it.
Let me know what all I can do to help write this plan for IAD....Not now -
over the summer. Remember that folks want to see pictures. This is also a
great way to get your program noticed, too. Our lesson plans come up in
Google searches. Your name and school name is prominent on the plan.

Yes, Betty, I do miss the classroom terribly -- but feel connected through
ArtsEdNet Talk - and the three other list serves....ArtsEdNet Talk is just
so much more appreciative (smile)....They allow me to "talk" and they talk
back. I am starting to get some response of needs from the other groups --
but just not as much (smile). I will include in my letter how I need
ArtsEdNet Talk in order to know what to put on my art education web sites.
So far - no one form the other groups needs ArtsEdNet - I am trying
folks....We shall see. Hopefully we all will have more time to talk about
"heroes" over the summer and how we teach them (character education).
Betty - you are on my list.

Judy Decker

---