Re:Jacob Lawrence

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 09:52:18 PDT

First of all, Judy, I am so pleased to read you are no longer in the classroom
full-time :) I would be so overwhelmingly intimidated if you were doing all this
AND in the classroom! But you're still teaching folks like me.

I'm also going to Tres Culturas because of artsednet, if you can use that info.

Right now my students are starting a "Hero" sequence after looking at and
talking about the Artsednet Jacob Lawrence's Harriet Tubman series. They just
finished Harriet Tubman in American History two weeks ago, so they were very
familiar with her story. The new history teacher (a woman, and not a coach - a
rare creature around here) was thrilled by the overlap. I have shared the
excellent timeline included in that site with her.

We're making most of the pictures with construction paper cut-outs inspired by
Lawrence's technique. (Also because they struggle with drawing figures and I
want to focus on the meaning more than drawing skill - Also because the
custodians really cleaned my tables and I'm avoiding paint - and I have loads of
paper). The understand this technique best when they realize it is "OH, like
South Park!".

Betty

---