RE: curriculum for math and science magnet elementary school

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 06:55:08 PDT

You will just need to be more deliberate about the connections you make -
maybe more inquiry based learning with more of a science/math connection -

For example:
one year I was doing a watercolor unit with my kids - I had an assortment of
papers for each child - drawing, posterboard, tissue, copy, watercolor....
probably about 10 or 12 samples. Each sheet was numbered, they had to
scratch each sheet, a couple of crayon lines and so on... wet half of the
paper and add some watercolor lines - record their observations... add salt
if you want. I really wanted them to discover that the watercolor paper had
the qualities we were looking for... and why - but they were able to come up
with pros and cons for each paper (effect they wanted and so on) - but this
lesson could have been at home in my room, or the science lab...

maybe not what you do - but how...

and remember that many believe that the scientific method parallels the four
step method for studying artwork...

don't panic - stay with what you are comfortable with, gear it towards the
age, tweak it to connect more (it already connects to science and math - be
deliberate).

Ellen

> Hi everyone. After six years of teaching high school art, I've been
> transferred to teach art (on a cart) at the only elementary school in our
> district with an art teacher. The school is a math and science magnet
> school with a demanding principal. I've never felt more unsure of myself.
> HELP! Don't get me wrong. I'm grateful for the job and looking forward
> to teaching the little ones grades K-5. Thank you in advance. Eileen in
> Westchester, NY ---

---