Al Q÷yawayma - Hopi Potter

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 06:22:21 PDT

Here is a Hopi potter you will find on Incredible Resources soon. Thanks for
letting me know your interests! I haven't had anything to look for quite
some time. I have had what you needed already on my site (with the exception
of Rembrandt - and will get to that soon).

Hey take a look - I found his email address: Al Qoyawayma (alq@primenet.com)
(haven't tried it to see if it works)
Name means: Al Qoyawayma
(Grey fox walking at dawn)

http://www.tribalcollectors.com/01_2003/alq.htm
Al Q÷yawayma is a Hopi potter who was born in 1938 and has been actively
potting since 1970. He is noted for his carved and appliquÚd buffware
pottery.
Mesa Verde, built by the ancient Anasazi, was abandoned during a long
drought in the 13th century, stands in ruins in a mesa cliff cave. It
inspired Hopi potter-engineer Al Qoyawayma to make a wonderful pot depicting
it. http://www.kstrom.net/isk/maps/houses/pueblo.html

http://www.sherwoodsspirit.com/asf1465.html Beautiful slipper jar - If you
like this - grab the image now as I probably will not put the link.
http://www.sherwoodsspirit.com/asf1464.html (ditto here)

Great to show your students - multiple views!
http://home.globalcrossing.net/~alq/polychrome1.html
http://home.globalcrossing.net/~alq/polychrome2.html - may help them in
drawing their own pottery from different sides/points of view.

Between Two World:
http://aises.uthscsa.edu/alq/al.html
Al has made a particularly important contribution to our country and to
American Indians through his leadership in establishing the American Indian
Science and Engineering Society (AISES).
If you find sites to add - let me know....I will keep on looking myself -
but these should whet your appetite.

And for my Getty ArtsEdNet fans....This is always the way I collected
resources for my site. I would copy them into an email and send them to
myself. That way, I had them if any of you needed something. Copying into an
email was easier for me to put on my site. Word documents always screwed up
the spacing - added spaces where I didn't want them...SO now you know why I
post my surfing to the list --- I might as well get the word out "just in
case" and it tested your interest in what I was finding. I am sorry that
some unsubscribed as a result - but hey - what can I do (smile).

Enjoy! Look for these resources this summer for sure. (Sorry folks who will
get this twice - I will get it three times). Use the search feature on my
site: http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/ Let me know your
needs.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com