curriculum proposal

---------

From: Diana Gualtieri (artinpa_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 04:31:07 PDT

Hello,
I just joined this list serve and I thought I'd see if anyone had any advice for me. . .
I work in a middle school that currently serves 950 students in grades 6-8. There are two art teachers here:one full time and one part time (me). I am looking to expand the art program by incorporating electives. I would like to see the art program receive as much respect and attention as the music program in our building. Our music department currently consists of 5 educators that teach music appreciation, music lessons, chorus, band, etc.
I am looking to create a program that places art on a similar schedule as music. Offering students electives like ceramics, photography, drawing, etc. The students could take these classes like music lessons or during 8th period, which, at our school, the students can currently take band (and receive a grade for it).
Is there any protocol for proposing changes like this in the educational community. This is my first year teaching and I am just begining to understand all of the administrative processes.
I was wondering if there were any similar programs out there. Or if anyone had suggestions/criticisms of this idea. All advice is welcome.
Thank you