Re: Middle School teachers - your artists? cultures?

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 19:32:19 PDT

I am always open to new ideas/cultures/artists to introduce in middle school, but here are a couple that I stick by for various reasons (of course there's more, but I'm tired): Egypt for 7th grade (they study Egypt in Social Studies, and I've been there, so I can tell them what the art/ruins look like now and what the culture is like) Impressionism (great way to intro color mixing and intro a lot of artists at one time) I do Picasso often because my students are curious about him, and Pollock for the same reason. Georgia O' Keefe, because we can study still life and value by looking at cow skulls and flowers in real life. I also like to delve in to Native American fiber arts, and pop culture/pop art stuff too. Jayna

Judy Decker <jdecker@woh.rr.com> wrote:Dear Art Educators,

I have had middle school art teachers tell me they missed my post for a call
for "What artists do you teach at the middle school level? ...Well.... I
hadn't asked it yet. Please respond when you have the time with your list of
top artists and your list of cultures (I just need to know before June).

What artists?

What Cultures?

(If you want to throw in a line or two what project you do - that is OK --
but not necessary right now as I will post a compilation soon)

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
http://www.incredibleart.tk

P.S. I will not be posting for high school - My "experts" are looking more
for ideas rather than artist specific lessons. If you are a high school
teacher and want to know important artists/cultures at the high school
level - then do please post yourself.