Re: HS Photography - digital/chemical

---------

From: John and Pam Smith (smithp015_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 10:11:01 PDT

I teach H.S. Photography for a couple more weeks. We are just getting our
wet room up and running. People in the district want me to go all digital,
but I firmly believe that that the wet process is essential to teaching
students where pictures come from. Digital is great but it is only another
media. Neither should be used exclusively. The chemicals are humbug, but the
students love working in the darkroom and ³creating² their photos. I also
want to work a little with painting B & W, but time is short.

Next year I will be at a middle school and will really miss my Photo class,
but I plan on doing a unit on Photography and the Elements of Design with my
students. It will be only taking pictures, no developing. We may be able to
do some work on PhotoShop, but money is a problem and I donıt know what
equipment I will have available.

Received from Olejarz2@aol.com, 5/11/03 5:53 AM
> I just had an interesting discussion with a HS photo teacher about teaching
> photo in HS and the issue of digital vs. chemical.
>
> We agreed that film cameras are a better value than digital cameras and offer
> the opportunity to teach an SLR camera and its possibilities. He felt that
> students should still have darkroom experience. We agreed that things are
> going digital in a very big way and the ideal program should have both
> experiences.
>
> We also thought that if it were impossible to have both chemical and digital
> what might work best is using a film camera and having students scan their
> negatives so that they could then work on them as digital images.
>
> Any photo teachers out there with thoughts on this issue?
>
> Harold ---
du

---