Some guidelines for videos in the classroom

---------

From: Pam Stephens (pgstephens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 08:44:39 PDT

In light of the recent thread about video in the art classroom....

When I was working on the Matisse & Picasso teacher resource guide for PBS a
few years ago, I was lucky to receive some training in the appropriate use
of videos in the classroom. I included some of the pointers garnered from
this training in my presentation at NAEA this year. Here is an outline:

Top 5 Reasons Not to Use Videos in Class
1. I'm in survival mode and need a filler NOW.
2. I need to finish grading papers.
3. Report cards go home tomorrow.
4. We had a test yesterday.
5. It's Friday (or the last week of school, or it's almost Christmas, etc.)

Top 6 Reason to Use Videos in Class
1. Expand student experiences beyond the classroom
2. Address different learning styles
3. Informs curriculum with real-world tie ins
4. Enhances understanding and retention
5. Encourages student participation
6. Engages and motivates

Strategies for Using Videos in Class
1. Leave the lights on.
2. Always provide a list of key questions that are posed BEFORE the viewing
and answered afterwards.
3. Use only relevant segments of the video.
4. Be an active participant (do not read, grade papers, etc.)
5. Have post-viewing activities planned.

After implementing the strategies in my own classroom, I have found that
students are more attentive to the content of the video. I have used the
Linnea video in my classroom with great success because I gave the kids
background information and then used only those segments relevant to the
study of Monet's ideas and processes. The slower pace of this video lends
itself to showing segments.

My essential questions (geared to second graders) are:
1. Who was Monet?
2. Describe his work (how it looks up close and at a distance).

The production activity is sponge printing. Kids tear horizontally in half
a 12" x 18" piece of green paper and glue this to a full sheet of blue
paper. Using construction paper crayons, they draw and color trees and
plants without foliage and other garden types of objects. Using various
sizes of sponges, foliage is printed onto the trees and plants. This gives
a suggestion impressionism while avoiding the trap of making artwork "in the
style of."

Pam

And now a thought for those last weeks of school. ;-)

My mind is clouded by the puma of indifference. Viscous puma, you have made
a colloidal suspension of my head. I'm in a fuzzy neutral. My mind is stuck
in park. I'm in a life-or-death struggle with the puma, hand in paw. There
are no winners here, only the puma and me, tied for second place. But when I
think that all is lost, I unleash the bison of my passion and I send that
puma packing! Get thee hence, slothful puma, bonehead puma of ennui! I curry
favor with the buffalo of my zeal!

---