Questions for AP Studio Art teachers

---------

From: Patricia Knott (pknott_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 08:18:18 PDT

The site for AP Studio Art is

http://www.collegeboard.com/ap/studioart/index.html

You can download any information that you may have paid to get in "book"
form.

The AP portfolio requires serious work. I have yet to find enough time
during class sessions to complete it. The portfolio requires a commitment
from the student to work beyond class as well as a commitment from the
teacher to keep on top of a schedule for the students to complete necessary
works, and get the work photographed and properly submitted. The work can't
be "all over the place." 3-D works can't cross over to 2-D works.
There is no time frame on when the works are completed, but the narrowing of
categories causes some consideration for individual strengths as opposed to
teaching considerations.
The Concentration part of the portfolio is where the students need to make
the most commitment to working independently.

Student examples of quality work are available on the web site.
I suggest you be very careful about who you allow to pursue the AP
Portfolio. It can be a very intense, time consuming process if you have kids
not willing to achieve the expected levels. I had a bad experience with AP
this year so I'm a little bitter. I'm thinking of giving up the AP. I'd
much rather teach art to the levels they are at than trying to think that my
45 minute period can ever be an equivalent to a 4 hour foundation class in
drawing or 2-d design. Art schools only accept the credit, sometimes, for
an elective or a placement. For my students going to art school I urge them
not to ever forgo an elective for the AP credit. Nothing I can give them
is like what they get in art school. I'm still not sure why there is an AP
Studio Art course, other than to achieve a little discipline.

Patty

---