Re: Who has more work?

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 07:28:27 PDT

Art Teachers! We all know that.

> still have to grade 450 pieces of work on a weekly basis....mmmm.....who
has
> more work?

I am sorry -- but I just have to respond to the whole group(s). Art teachers
not only have to teach their own curriculum -- but we also have to teach
science (yes science), math, social studies, reading/language arts,
technology.....we also have to do the guidance counselor's job....we are the
disciplinarians who are most effective (we are made to handle our own
problems - as administrators don't have the time for "art").....We are the
ones who really teach the students how to get along....how to think for
themselves.....how to solve problems. We deal with the real issues of the
world -- and teach students how to find beauty and tolerance for
things/people that are different......No Child Left Behind? Well... NOW we
are going to have a whole lot more children left behind with all of the cuts
to ART the most important subject in school. Art is the first form of
communication and it is universal. And...How many other teachers are talking
to teachers around the world on a daily basis? We are the teachers who can
"help save the world" - Smile and pat yourselves on the back for all you do
with the world's greatest treasure - OUR YOUTH.

I purposely left the original poster's name and email address off for her
"privacy"....But I just needed to say how much I support what you are
doing.....The problem is the world over -- it is not just a USA issue. I got
a lot of ideas from her post on what we "experts" need to focus on this
summer to help her out via Incredible Art Department. We will see what we
can do.

Sensational Sunday!!

Judy in Ohio