Review Linea in Monet's garden... I would definitely change some things in that one.

---------

From: Christine Besack (mrsbeeswax_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 04:42:13 PDT

Hi,
    I also think it's slow, but it does show some good points.
I also think about the author's decision to :
make Linnea travel alone with her elderly neighbor ??? I tell them he's kinda like her babysitter.
Why the French hotel woman has to smoke,
and WHERE ARE LINNEA's PARENTS ??

I interject a lot of comments during it to keep them interested.
check out the birds eye view,
I tell them what the names of some of the flowers are and that they grow in our area also, peonies, brown eyed Susan's, foxgloves, pansies. I like to show this video in the Spring to 1st graders.

look how they switch between real photos and cartoon
how many artists contributed to the making of the video
we do the math on how old Monet was when he died.
 Their paintings turned out amazingly well. Some did the bridge , some just made green gardens and flowers I have some sailboat Monet images that others chose. It still cracks me up that they get fascinated that the water changes color while they are rinsing their brushes !!!
many of them have actually seen frog legs at the Chinese buffet restaurants in the area.
I had one telling her classmates, remember to SMUDGE the paint
They recognize references to Notre Dame from the Disney HUNCHBACK movie !
I love the real photos of Monet, they said " he looks like Santa !"
When their teacher comes back to get them we say "BON JOUR" and "AU REVOIR"

A colleague of mine in PA (Sandy Wood) did a great workshop on making your own videos for your classroom, ( I think she did it at NAEA also one year)
That way you get to point out what you want.
I think I'm gonna try it this Summer,
Hope this helps,
Christine Besack

---